Home Cat owner Scottish woman contracts deadly infection after cat she was saving bites her

Scottish woman contracts deadly infection after cat she was saving bites her

0


A cat owner was forced to undergo emergency surgery after contracting a life-threatening infection – as her “ungrateful diva” bit her while saving her from a 20-foot plunge through the window.

Kate Gill was enjoying a quiet cup of tea at home when she heard a terrible scream coming from upstairs of her house that sounded like a “little child” crying out.

Horrified by the screeching ears, the 27-year-old rushed upstairs to spot the two furry hind legs of her beloved rescue cat Daisy hanging from the window frame.

READ MORE – Edinburgh weather: 50mph winds and heavy rain as two storms hit Scotland

Terrified of Daisy plunging to the ground, Kate, owner of Harvest Mouse teahouse in Fife, Scotland, grabbed her hind legs and called her 30-year-old training director husband, Colin to help him.

While holding Daisy, the petrified cat repeatedly dug its fangs into the back of Kate’s left hand.

Relieved that Daisy was safe and healthy, Kate rinsed her bloodied hand under a running faucet, applied an antiseptic cream, wrapped it in a bandage and didn’t think about it.

However, a few hours later her hand started to swell, so she went to A&E where doctors cleaned the wound, gave her a tetanus vaccine and antibiotics to fight the infection.

Just 24 hours later, her hand doubled in size and she began to notice red marks on her arm and her GP advised her to return to the hospital.

There Kate was admitted to a ward where she was filled with antibiotics before undergoing an operation to clean the infected wound.

Kate is now sharing her story to urge anyone bitten or scratched by a cat to seek medical attention immediately.

Kate, from Gauldry, Fife, said: “I was sitting downstairs having a cup of tea and I was aware of this noise which sounded like a small child crying.

“I went upstairs and that’s when I saw those little legs hanging out of our bedroom window.

“I tried to grab her but I couldn’t quite reach her to pull her up. I was just trying to hold her back and screamed for my husband and he was able to come and reach for her. and take it out.

“Meanwhile, because she had been so scared, she was chewing the entire back of my left hand – my middle finger had the worst.

“When we took her out, Colin was like ‘oh my god, who’s bleeding?’ and I said ‘it’s me’.

“Back then, I didn’t really think about my hand, I just thought I didn’t want it to fall.

“I was so scared and obviously she was scared too.”

Kate, who also lives with rescue cat Abe, three, was cleaning at noon on July 11 and opened the upstairs window as it was hot, believing Daisy was outside.

Unbeknownst to her, Daisy slipped upstairs and was looking at a bird’s nest in a nearby tree when she slipped and her body was left hanging precariously from the upstairs window.



Get all the latest news and headlines from Edinburgh, Fife and the Lothians straight to your inbox twice a day by signing up for our free newsletter.

From the latest news to the latest on the coronavirus crisis in Scotland, we’ve got you covered.

The morning newsletter arrives every day before 9 a.m. and the evening newsletter, organized manually by the team, is sent out at 6.30 p.m., giving you an overview of the most important stories of the day.

To sign up, simply enter your email address in this link here and select Daily News.

Kate said: “My mom lives a few doors down and apparently she could hear all the commotion but couldn’t understand where it was coming from.

“[Once we got her down]i just ran [my hand] under a lukewarm tap then I put some antiseptic cream and bandages on it.

“I was hoping everything was going to be okay, it wasn’t until later that night that it started causing me problems. It started to swell a bit and I couldn’t move my middle finger.”

Kate’s mother, Tracey, drove her to the A&E ward at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, where she was vaccinated against tetanus and given antibiotics before going out.

The next day, Kate’s hand had doubled in size and red streaks began to run through her arm and, on the advice of her GP, she returned to the hospital.

She was admitted to a ward and received more antibiotics before having an operation to remove any infected tissue.

Kate said: “I went to the hospital because it was swelling and it was quite painful at this point.

“When I left, Daisy was curled up asleep without caring about the world.

“By 5pm the next day, my hand had doubled in size, it was pink, and the redness had started to run through my arm.

“I called my doctor and they told me to go straight to A&E where I was admitted for the next two nights. I couldn’t believe it.

“On Tuesday I had a little operation to clean everything up, then I was able to go home on Wednesday.”

Kate was sent home on antibiotics to fight any residual infection and had several follow-up appointments with her GP to clean and heal the wounds.

Despite the hospitalization of her owner, Daisy did not seem taken aback by his antics.

Kate joked, “I was just trying to be nice but she was ungrateful, this is the last time I do a good deed.

“When I got home from the hospital, Daisy was not at all repentant. She had no idea what had happened.

“She’s a pretty sassy cat, she definitely has a bit of a diva in her.”

Kate shares her story to urge people to get cat bites and scratches checked and not to treat them as minor injuries.

Kate said: “It was such a shock because I’ve always had cats growing up and obviously when they’re playing or they’re in a bad mood I’ve been bitten or scratched before anything like that. drastic never happened.

“Everyone saw it on social media and no one had realized how bad cat bites can be.

“People think dog bites would be worse, but the doctor said cat bites are much worse because of the size and sharpness of their teeth.

“They can push the infection down deeper and because it’s a smaller hole, it can close.

“If you get scratched or bitten, it’s worth getting it checked out.”

Despite the drama of a few days, Kate said she was completely healed and everything was fine with Daisy.

Kate said: “She was really happy that I tried to save her life. She was just young and has a certain attitude towards her.

“I’m fine now, I just have a little scar. Everything was forgiven with Daisy.”

Animal and human bites

Serious animal and human bites can become infected if not controlled and treated promptly.

Always see a doctor if you have been bitten by an animal or person and the bite has broken the skin.

Both humans and animals have a lot of bacteria in their mouths, which can cause infection if a bite breaks the skin.

These infections are rarely serious if treated quickly, but sometimes they can spread to the blood or other parts of the body.

Symptoms that suggest a wound has become infected include: redness and swelling around the wound, the wound is hot and increasingly painful, fluid or pus leaking from the wound, fever of 38 ° C or more.

sweating and chills, swollen glands under the chin or in the neck, armpits or groin, red streaks extending down the skin from the wound.

See a doctor as soon as possible if you think your wound is infected.